Butter and Wingtips

What do a stick of butter and a pair of men's wingtips have in common? Only one thing that I can think of ... I painted them :)


My set up and progression:







Why butter? A few reasons: 1) I am fascinated by Conor Walton's butter paintings. I'm also mesmerized by his Instagram timelapse videos where he shows a work in progress. So freaking cool. 2) I knew the wrapper's highlights and shadows would be a challenge 3) I love the challenge of turning something as mundane as a stick of butter into a work of art.

I was happy with the way mine turned out, but it doesn't hold a candle to Conor Walton's ... Is this fabulous or what???



OK - wingtips! Why wingtips? Have you seen Thiebaud's painting of men's black shoes? To.die.for.
And if you don't know who Wayne Thiebaud is, watch this.

  Wayne Thiebaud - Black Shoes                       


Here's my set up and progression with my husband's black wingtips:











On my last day of class with Karen I brought in my wingtips painting so she could help me with a few final adjustments. I'm happy with the final painting. Sad that class is over :(

Next class begins September 12th!

Comments

Popular Posts