Artist Workshop with Cindy Baron - Feb 2018

Booth Western Art Museum in Cartersville does a great job of lining up workshops with some of the best artists in the US. It probably sounds like an odd combination - western art? In Cartersville, Georgia? And I wasn't even sure I was really into western art, but the techniques and skills of painting apply to any genre, so it doesn't really matter to me what we paint as long as the teacher is good.

And Cindy Baron did not disappoint. She has a very warm personality and is incredibly eager and patient with students. She also seems to be very flexible and a bit unconventional in her approach, which I found refreshing.


As you can see, the canvas looks kinda crazy when she starts, but by applying color to a blank canvas, it removes the starkness of the white background. It's also cool to watch her "carve" a painting out of the swaths of color using paint brushes, Q-tips, paper towels and her fingers.



Here's her final painting:


And here's how mine currently looks - yes, I'm still chipping away at it :)



She also did a demo of this work:


All of those white lines below were carved out using a Q-tip!


And here's my version of the same painting --


What stands out to me is that my lines are so harsh! I have to learn how to soften things up a bit. And I paint so dark!!! $%*&%@$# And that's crazy to me because when I first started painting in oil I was terrified of dark colors and now I can't seem to escape them.

My first oil painting class was March 28, 2017, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I've come a long way in just a year, but geez, I have a lot of work to do!

Comments

Popular Posts