June and July 2019

My summer of experiments continues through June and July. Last year I submitted art for the Atlanta Artists Center "Animal Instincts" show and didn't make the cut, so I really wanted to get at least one painting in this year's show.

I submitted this goldfish, which did not get accepted:


And I submitted this Redfish (painted in 2017), which was accepted:


The show runs August 20-September 28 at Atlanta Artists Center. There were 97 submissions from 39 artists and 56 works were selected by the juror. Happy about this outcome.

Here are some more of my paintings and works in progress from June and July:

"Plitvice" 20h x 16w

"Flotsam and Jetsam" 20h x 16w

"Bumper to Bumper" 20h x 16w


I did a series of 3 mini abstracts in black, white and yellow ochre. Each is 6" x 6"





And then I went over to a friend's gallery and blew one of them up to a 40x40. I'd never painted that large before, so it was a little intimidating, but I was able to make pretty good progress.



I think it needs even more paint ... but I definitely like where it's going.

As you can see in the photo above, I have a new easel and a new space to paint. Painting upstairs on the 3rd floor of our home has never really been the most inviting space for me. I trudge up to the top where it's usually warm and dark - lighting's not the best up there and I feel kind of isolated.

But the change came when I received this easel as a gift from a friend of mine because it's so dang heavy there was just no way to haul this big boy up 3 floors, so we made space for it in our sunroom. I LOVE the new space, the light, and my easel is always just a few steps away. I can paint, walk away and do other things, then come right back to it without having to go up and down 3 floors. Big difference.


I continued my figure drawing and was pleased with this drawing of Nova, one of my favorite models:


I'm going to enter this one in the "Back to the Drawing Board" call for entries in a few weeks. Hoping to get a few more completed drawings so I can submit 3 for consideration.

I also completed a nice still life at Chastain Arts Center in an "Intermediate to Advanced" oil painting session. The instructor is not my favorite, so I won't be taking any more classes from him. I knew I was rolling the dice on this one, but nevertheless, it's always disappointing to spend money on an 8 week class and feel disappointed.


I just completed my 3rd workshop with Bill Davidson. As always, Bill does an excellent job of explaining why he does what he does and how he does it. I admit I lose focus when he spends so much time in the details of the mountains, but I know how much he loves that kinda thing.

One of my goals for this year was to start narrowing down my interests in painting subjects. Do I want to paint landscapes? Do I want to be a plein air painter? Or would I rather paint abstracts? Well, I'm beginning to get clarity on that. After 4 days in a landscape workshop I've decided I do not want to be a landscape painter. Now, that may change if we move to a city that isn't hotter than ballz, mosquito infested and humid as hell. Not to mention the fact that the only "landscape" around my house is skyscraper, multi family and office buildings. So let's eliminate landscape and plein air.

Many of the concepts Bill teaches apply to painting in general, so it was still a very worthwhile learning experience. And I had fun.



I set up my palette box so that I have a neutral gray paper underneath a thick piece of glass.
I wrote my name on the gray paper so that when I'm in a workshop and an instructor is helping me, all he/she has to do is look in the palette to remember my name. 
Also, most students use this same looking palette box so this way there's no mistaking mine for someone else's.


My favorite painting from the workshop - "Pawleys Island Marsh"


After the workshop I felt like I needed to do something totally different, so I tried a cubist drawing, which was SO MUCH fun!!


And then I completed a painting for my nephew:


And I completed this stack of shirts that I started in early June. This might be my new favorite painting.


Things on my mind:
1. Focus on abstracts, figurative and still lifes for the next 5 months.
2. Back to the Drawing Board call for entries begins August 25.
3. I start drawing classes at Atelier South on August 21st.
4. The last AAC show for the year is Reality or Abstraction; call for entries begins October 6th.

For 2020, I'm only going to submit work to AAC shows that tie into what I'm doing and practicing. I'll slow down a little, focus, and do my best to enter high quality work and hopefully bring home a ribbon. We'll see .........

2.5 years down, more than 350 paintings and drawings under my belt with more coming soon!

Comments

Popular Posts