Aug Sep Oct 2019

Photos of art I completed in August, September and October 2019


Untitled - Green - August 2019


"Icy Hot" 



"Picante" abstract inspired by the work of Franz Kline


Drawing from Life at Atlanta Artists Center
August 2019

In late August I began drawing classes at Atelier South. George Morton and Jessica Artman are my instructors. We are working on Bargue plates. Last year when I was taking classes with Chris DiDomizio, he gave us Bargue plates to copy but he never explained how to do them correctly. Of course, I didn't know that at the time I was enrolled with Chris.

George and Jessica explained the Bargue plates in detail and helped me understand the tradition and the importance of these plates. It's all about precision. Getting it "mostly right" is not the goal. The goal is to get it 100% correct. Not easy.


I thought I could just knock this out ... hoo boy, was I wrong about that. I took a huge step back and worked on a foot ... for 6 hours (2 sessions) and it just about killed me.


They don't want me to shade (they call it rendering) until I can get the drawing part correct, so I have a long, long way to go.  Don't tell anyone, but I render my @ss off when I am practicing at home :)


Word on the street is that Picasso copied the set of Bargue plates once. Van Gogh copied them twice. I'm going to do my best to copy as many as I can. It's really hard, but I know it will make me a better artist.


In late August I participated in a collaborative art project at the High Museum, along with my docent friends and the Ladd Brothers. The Ladd Brothers will assemble the scrolls we made into a 10x10x10 scroll room that museums can enter in April 2020. I'm excited to see this project/exhibition next spring at the museum!

Materials for scrollathon

Mini reproduction of what the scrollathon room will look like


My scroll to take home as a keepsake


Scrolls made in Atlanta by docents, students and various members of the community

My scroll is in there somewhere :)



I entered AAC's Back to the Drawing Board exhibition for the first time. Two of three were rejected, but my drawing titled, "Happy Hour" was accepted! And even better news -- it sold!!

On September 9th I resumed my abstract sessions with Paul Light at Chastain. I work on my abstracts before and after class, but I like to go to these sessions for feedback as I continue to learn what works and what doesn't work in abstracts. Composition and value are the keys to success. It's also a nice release from being so "in line" on Wednesdays at Atelier South.





In mid-September, I completed a 4-day workshop with Australian artist Colley Whisson.




It was a great experience, and I'm extremely happy with my painting of flowers on a windowsill. 

Then it was back to Bargue drawings and abstracts ...


Blackwing pencils rock, btw.




Today I entered 3 works of art into the Reality or Abstraction exhibition at AAC. The judge will review and select work between October 14-20. I'm hoping that all 3 of my paintings will make the cut, but we'll see ...

Submission # 1


Submission #2


Submission #3

This coming week will be exciting because I'm in another workshop -- this time with Seth Haverkampf. The following week is also exciting because I'll be in Washington, DC for the National Docent Symposium. Big fun ahead :)


Comments

Popular Posts