January - February 2020


2020 is off to a pretty great start. Scott and I won awards at the Grand View art exhibition at the W Hotel in Midtown. I received a 3rd place award and Scott earned 2nd place. Neither of us expected to win anything. Abstracts rarely receive awards ... shoot, abstracts don't always get in shows. We also found out we are the first couple in Atlanta Artists Center history (65 years!) to receive awards in the same exhibition! Very, very cool.

"Felicity" - 3rd place award

I returned to Trinity School's Spotlight on Art event and sold 2 of my 4 paintings. Wow. I also didn't expect that to happen. Last year I didn't sell a darn thing. Pics below are the two paintings that sold.



I'm continuing my studies with George Morton at Atelier South.


At this stage, I'd spent 9 hours on this drawing. As of this date (Feb 2020) I have put more into it and started rendering. We've had a 3 week break because George has been in Egypt, but I'll get back to it this Wednesday. More pics coming soon on this.

While George was away, I worked a little on my own.



Three of my paintings were accepted into the Renewal exhibition at Atlanta Artists Center.





More exciting news to share ... I have 4 paintings in the lobby of Colony Square in Midtown. This is a huge building in Midtown at the intersection of 14th Street and Peachtree. Over 5,000 people ride their elevators every day, and my 4 paintings are directly across from those elevators.



SOOOO exciting!! Here's a close up look at the 4 paintings. Each is 30h x 24w, painted in acrylic on wrapped canvas. My inspiration was Piet Mondrian's geometric paintings from the 1930/40s era. I thought, "What would happen if you put Mondrian in a blender?"






While I truly love painting abstracts, it's also really important for me to draw the human figure. There's no better practice for an artist than finding shapes, lines, working on proportions, etc. And
Thursdays are my favorite days at Atlanta Artists Center. After being in class with George on Wednesdays, the timing is perfect for me to hit AAC on Thursdays and put into practice what I've been working on. I opened up an old drawing pad, one of my first drawing pads. I think it was around 2015 when I started drawing. Amazing to compare the progress I'm making.

      
                                                   ~ 2015?                                                                  Eric - 2020

Here are some more of my Thursday drawings:

                            Nova - 2020

                            Zoe - Feb 2020

I also did some figure painting on Thursdays.



These are screen grabs from my Instagram account, so the resolution is less than ideal, but I like to document progress.

Here are more photos of the art I created in January and February:

                     Sunflowers - 9w x 12h - oil on canvas

 "Frippery" acrylic abstract 30h x 24w inspired by a recent visit to Palm Springs 
and one of my favorite painters, Elaine de Kooning.

                    More work to be done here

                     20h x 16w acrylic on canvas - Rainy Day

                   "Red Scarf" 20h x 16w - oil on canvas. 
I'm going to submit this one for the Booth Artists Guild show. Fingers crossed.


These last 2 are Instagram screen grabs. Both are acrylic on wrapped canvas. I'm enjoying the process of finding shapes and the spaces/connections between them. Also fired up about these colors.



Today - Feb 23 - I will submit 3 paintings for the upcoming "East Meets West" exhibition. Haven't 100% decided which ones to enter, but probably these last 2 for sure.

Classes resume this Wednesday at Atelier South. Continuing to paint abstracts on Monday afternoons with Paul Light and crew. I'm also looking into submitting my work to local galleries. My goal is to get in a gallery before the end of 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts