September 2020


Another month has come and gone in the weirdest year I’ve experienced in my lifetime. 204 days in Coronaland, according to my count. Some days I feel okay, others are really a struggle. I work to focus on positive things in order to keep myself afloat. So many of the things I love to do I cannot do, so I’ve worked to find new things to love. 

I’m still walking a good bit in the park. Now that the weather is cooler and less humid, that will be more enjoyable. I’m still participating in the Royal Academy’s Daily Doodle. Some of the RA doodle challenges just aren’t my thing and they no longer have doodles on weekends. On those occasions I doodle something of my own choosing. Last week I discovered an online virtual drawing session that is based out of London and features a model I’ve drawn through the Royal Academy. I’m putting those zoom sessions on my weekly to-do list. And I started a new virtual class based out of Alexandria, VA, with an artist named Elizabeth Floyd. In addition to all of this, docent training has resumed. So now I have a daily obligation on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Ahhhhh, structure :) And it only took 204 days.

The highlight of the month was receiving an award in the National Juried Art Show! I received the Mary Ann Carney award for excellence in painting for my “Pink Peonies” oil painting. There were ~90 works of art in the show, and my painting won.

Here are highlights from the month:

27 Doodles - these were my favorites from September

  

 

  


1 Abstract Painting - 20”x 16” acrylic on canvas


Scott and I spent Labor Day in Highlands at Old Edwards Inn. The restaurant gave roses to the ladies at dinner each night. I kept them and painted them in an old plastic spice bottle. I save these little bottles so I can take them with me on trips. I use them for water, paint brush holders, etc. because they’re so easy to carry and won’t break. 


I put the roses in our kitchen window when we got home and loved the way the light was pouring through, so I painted them. This is a little 10x8 oil on panel.

  

On Friday, September 11, I drove up to the Booth Art Academy to draw. It had been 6 months since I’d been in a studio with a model. Kent, the director of the academy, told me I was the first person besides staff to walk through those doors in 6 months. Crazy, isn’t it? There were only five artists in the room. We all wore masks and kept our distance. It was a great experience and I can’t wait to go back.

I am still going to Trader Joe’s on Thursday mornings and painting floral still lifes. Sometimes they come very easily. Other times it’s quite difficult. 

These sunflowers were a challenge, but I finally wrapped them up.
16x12 oil on panel

I began these roses in late March and just finished them a few days ago.
20x16 oil on canvas

This one is still in the works
20x16 oil on canvas

 
The painting of yellow roses is a copy of one of Elizabeth Floyd’s paintings. As I mentioned earlier, I am taking a virtual class with Liz and admire her work. 
I’m painting these to study how she paints so I can learn from her. 
10x8 oil on panel (work in progress)

10x8 oil on panel

This is also a copy of a painting. I am not sure who the original artist is and have tried several reverse image searches to source it. Unfortunately I cannot determine the origin of the painting. I copied this, too, to learn how the painter moved his/her brush, playing with lights, shadows and edges.


Back to Elizabeth Floyd ... this is a photo of the Chardin master copy I’m working on in Liz’s class. You can see our iPad on the shelf in the background. I was concerned that a virtual course might not work. Our first class was this past Tuesday and it went pretty well. Liz is very knowledgeable and patient. 

And speaking of virtual art ... I recently joined a virtual drawing group that is based in London. It’s very organized and the model from the two sessions I attended is outstanding. Andrew Crayford models with the Royal Academy and can hold amazing, very athletic poses for quite some time. On yesterday’s call we had artists from Melbourne Australia, Athens Greece, Paris, London and the US. Everyone is very friendly and has their own unique style. It’s a ton of fun. 

This is a pencil drawing with watercolor. I’m really happy with the way this turned out.

And lastly, here are a few florals that I just recently started. Still quite a ways to go on these:




I’m pulling back from my participation with Atlanta Artists Center. I’ve certainly enjoyed being a part of the organization and will remain a member but it’s time to find new challenges. 

Wear your masks, take care of yourself and I’ll see you next month with a recap of October.

Comments

Popular Posts