January 2021


Hi :) If you’re new to my blog, I’m glad you are here. Each month I post photos of my art, what I’m working on, paintings I’ve completed, shows, classes, that sort of thing. Towards the end of the blog I also include a few notes on books and a cat photo or two. 

One of my goals for 2021 is to do a better job of marketing my art because I do not have gallery representation. That’s why you’re seeing more posts, more pictures, more information. Essentially, I’m a small business owner and it’s up to me to be bottle washer, floor mopper, CEO and anything else required to do the job. Here’s the most important thing I can say ... although my paintings may not be your cuppa tea, they might be for someone you know. Maybe you could pass along my information to someone you think might enjoy my paintings. Commissions are welcome!

Now ... let’s get busy with art updates.

Oil on linen panel. Available on my Website

Trader Joe’s amaryllis indoor bulb gardens were unbelievably gorgeous this year. We had several that bloomed like crazy and inspired these two paintings. The one below is a work in progress. It’s going to take a while for me to finish the details on the blue ceramic pot, but it’s a little further along than what you see in the photo below.

20h x 16w - oil on canvas

Made progress on my peony painting (below). This just needs one last glaze over the blue glass and it’ll be ready for purchase. 


I finished this painting from Elizabeth Floyd’s class:

Available on my website

Classes with Elizabeth Floyd resumed on January 27th for another six weeks of floral paintings. Here’s a photo of our first assignment. Painting fabric is one of my favorite things to do because it is so challenging. I think my abstract experience pays off in that area because you have to find organic shapes within the fabric for it to “read” correctly. So much fun. But I need to work on those pink tulips, it’s a flower class after all :) We paint a new set up each week, the pace is quick so I gotta hustle.


Copying the masters is always one of my favorite exercises. I usually do 3-4 copies each year. Right now I’m working on a copy of Edouard Manet’s “Bouquet of Peonies.” Need to work on flower details, vase details and add another layer to the background and foreground. Very close to finishing this one.


The Manet copy inspired me to start a new painting of tulips perched on my Manet still life book. Here’s the set up and initial block in. 

 

This year I’m focused on florals and abstracts. I’m taking an abstract course on Saturdays, and so far, I really enjoy it. Defining an abstract concept is not easy, but my instructor does an excellent job of finding specific, tangible examples and methods. Each week builds on the next. In week 1 we worked in charcoal, week 2 was collage and week 3 was black and white paint. You can see below how the charcoal study morphed into a painting today. Next week we add color.


Taking the abstract course inspired me to go back into old paintings that were not successful and re-work them. I also challenged myself to work in more layers than I’ve done in the past. It’s been rewarding, but honestly, very frustrating. Frustrating because sometimes you have to walk away from an ugly, unsuccessful abstract painting and come back to it again and again and again. It’s the ultimate jigsaw puzzle because there are so many ways to solve it and not just one “right” way.

Available on my website

ProCreate provides an excellent playground for digital experiments, noodling out ideas before going back in with paint. For example, “Ruby Woo” was bugging me, so I dropped the image into ProCreate, played around, then painted those changes, then went back in again digitally. This week I’ll work on making these latest changes.

 
Ruby Woo ——> ProCreate changes = RubyWoo II

 
Ruby Woo II with acrylic changes ——> Ruby Woo III in ProCreate


EXHIBITION NEWS
I submitted three paintings to the Atlanta Artists Center’s “Renewal” exhibition. Only one was juried in, but it’s probably my favorite of the three. The show runs from January 19 - March 4 at AAC’s Grandview Avenue Gallery in Buckhead.


I submitted two paintings to the Booth Museum of Art’s Downtown Gallery in Cartersville, and both paintings were accepted for that show! This was my first time submitting work for consideration by the Downtown Gallery and it’s exciting to have both pieces juried into the show which runs through April. If you can’t visit the Downtown Gallery in person, check out their website and flip through their online flipbook. You can also visit the Downtown Gallery’s Facebook page and see Seth Hopkins, the Booth Museum’s Executive Director, as he walks through the exhibition highlights. 


That’s a wrap for art in the month of January. 

MINDSET and READING
Painting is, for the most part, a solitary sport, so it is important to me to keep my brain fed with inspiring stories, motivational information and guides for self discipline. One of the best books I’ve read in this genre is “Mastery” by Robert Greene. Greene lays out the cold hard facts ... there are no shortcuts to mastery. You have to do the work, put in the hours, hold yourself accountable, all the while with probably limited rewards. Mastery is a marathon, not a sprint. Greene paints a very clear picture for what to expect and how to navigate it.

Right now I’m listening to “Can’t Hurt Me” on Audible. This is the story of David Goggins, a man who grew up with an abusive parent, faced countless challenges and turned his life around. He became a Navy SEAL and all around badass. He shoots straight with you, too... spoiler alert: the keys are hard work, self discipline and relentless pursuit bordering on obsession. I absolutely LOVE this book. 

And of course, I read The Daily Stoic every day. 

JULIUS and OTIS
JuJu (L) and O-doggie (R) had their annual check up this month at Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital and passed with flying colors. They love popping into Zoom calls and sunning themselves on our bed every afternoon. 

  


PERSONAL
Years ago I was a pretty hardcore runner (marathons, an ultramarathon, trail running, triathlons, etc.) and all of that pounding led to some injuries that sidelined me for a while. I’ve been walking a good bit over the last 8-9 months and just recently started back to running. Using the Couch to 10K/10KRunner  app has been very helpful. Although I don’t have a 10K on my calendar, it’s more about having a structured running program as a guide.

That’s it for January! Thank you for reading and following along. 

Comments

Popular Posts