March 2023

Painting at Atlanta History Center


It feels great to be back outside, painting with my friends on Thursdays! Lots of good things happened this month, but I think my favorite moment from March was painting at the Atlanta History Center. There was a family taking photos in this very spot where I was painting and the mom offered to take a few photos for me, so nice! Why do I get photos while I’m out in the field? Because I think it helps and encourages other artists to see what it looks like to do this plein air thing. Before I became a painter I’d never seen anyone paint outdoors. I remember many years ago we were in Charleston and saw a gallery owner actually painting in his gallery and we were in awe. It’s exciting to see someone squeeze paint out of a tube and whip it into a painting … well, at least I think it’s exciting. 

.
 

Here are more photos from my plein air adventures this month:

Painting at Old Car City with the North Georgia Plein Air Painters

Duwnoody


 
I painted at The Goat Farm with my friend Barbara and 
at the Atlanta Botanical Garden with my friend Sheena

 
Painted at Colony Square with my friend Elizabeth and 
at Briarlake Forest Park with my friend Terry

I gave several tours of the new Joseph Stella exhibition, which is incredibly inspiring. If I could only use one word to describe Stella it would be range. He painted all kinds of subject matter in many different ways with many different materials. He painted factories, bridges, abstracts, portraits, self portraits, flowers, visionary pieces, landscapes, birds and more. He used oil, gouache, crayons (!!!), silverpoint and more. As a docent we often talk about how artists are like scientists because both professions require an enormous amount of experimentation. Joseph Stella is the textbook definition. 




This past week I went back to the museum with a friend and neighbor, Tony. Tony was the architecture department chair at a nearby university and he’s so stinkin smart. I love looking at art with smart friends because they always teach me something new. On this trip Tony explained Russian Constructivism to me and I shared my knowledge of composition and process. We lingered over several pieces, really analyzing them and as many times as I’ve looked at this piece, it hit different today. 



I don’t know the artist’s name (eeeks!) but I love this piece. And it inspired me to play around with abstracts yesterday afternoon and here’s what came out …


Isn’t it so fun??? I love the colors and playfulness. It’s strange to me that I feel so loose and uninhibited when I paint with acrylics but I’m always wound tighter as soon as I get out my oil paint. I’m thinking about taking acrylics next time I go out plein air painting to see what will happen. Joseph Stella would approve, don’t you think?

Speaking of abstracts … I was supposed to teach an abstract workshop this month but it didn’t fill. I really want to teach but it’s not the right time. What’s most important right now is for me to focus on plein air and improve. There will be plenty of time down the road for teaching. It’s a relief to have it off my to do list, and I don’t know why I put that pressure on myself. 


EXHIBITIONS
I submitted two paintings for the Booth Artists Guild exhibition at The Booth Museum. My abstract painting, Tre Musicisti was selected. My other painting, Dutch Grown, was rejected. I try very hard to not take the rejection too seriously because you never know what the criteria was for making selections, and I know that Dutch Grown is a very strong, solid painting. 

 

I submitted work to the Tannery Row Artists’ Colony spring exhibition, a new venue for me. “Stonington Harbor” and “Carondelet” were juried into the show. 

 


I also submitted work for two other shows and as soon as I know those results, I’ll post them. 

READING
Every once in a while a book comes along that really blows my socks off. “The Creative Act: A Way of Being” by Rick Rubin should be required reading for anyone who does creative work. Don’t get me wrong, I love Robert Greene’s book, “Mastery,” but The Creative Act is completely different. It is inspiring, encouraging and this man FULLY gets all of the funky stuff that goes on in our brains as artist and creators. If I was stranded on a deserted island and could only take 2 books - Mastery and The Creative Act are the two books I’d take. No question about it.


PERSONAL


Scott’s been running a lot lately and he’s been running really fast, so he decided to sign up for the Albany Marathon that was held a few weeks ago in Albany, Georgia. He ran well but missed qualifying for Boston because … are you ready for this … the lead vehicle took a wrong turn. So the lead runners ran in the wrong direction for several minutes. His official time was 3:31 and he needed 3:25 for Boston. No words. Honestly, I have no words that can even describe my disappointment in the race organizers.  

Other than that, we’re doing well. We watched the George & Tammy miniseries and are finishing up Gaslit tonight. Of course, we’re also watching Succession.

COMING IN APRIL

April is going to be the busiest month I’ve had in years. Next week my friend Monica and I are in a workshop with Christine Lashley at The Booth. The following week is the Meriwether Plein Air Invitational. The following week is Olmsted. We are hosting one of the invited artists this year which will be so much fun, and the following week is a painting trip to the Okefenokee Swamp with Preston and his crew. I’ve been stocking up on frames, panels, paint, etc because I’ll be rippin though everything at the speed of light. It’s going to be exhausting, exhilarating and action packed. 

OTIS and JUJU

The boys have been sleeping a lot lately. My babies are getting old and I guess they need even more beauty sleep than ever. 

 

 




See you back here in a few weeks! 

Comments

Popular Posts