October 2023


October is peak plein air season. Cooler temperatures, less humidity and, the leaves are turning gold and red. Nothin’ better! The month was booked solid with plein air events beginning with our group’s Piedmont Park week-long paint out.

We had a great turnout and everyone painted so well. It was exciting to see so many artists scattered across the park, painting with so much passion and enthusiasm. It felt like a celebration. As the director of our group, it was a lot of work on my plate but well worth it.


There were several of us who painted morning and late afternoon. I switched back and forth between oils and pastels. It seemed that many of us grew closer, we networked, and sold quite a few pieces with a portion of our proceeds donated back to the Piedmont Park Conservancy. We also set our dates for 2024 and are excited to paint for a week in April and a week in October. 

A trip to Edisto was up next and I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately it didn’t go as planned. The person who allowed me to use a room in their home was very nice; however, there were other issues that were problematic, so I packed up and came home. Managed to snag one painting before driving back to Atlanta.

The following week was the main event of the month: Georgia Color. This time everything clicked. Loved my hosts and the accommodations, the scenery, and my fellow artists. I met so many genuinely nice people and connected so well with several artists. Despite not winning and not selling, I still feel very fortunate to have been a part of this event. It was my first competition as a pastelist and I was pleased with most of my paintings. 


 

First photo: painting in downtown Madison with Kathy Forbes and John Guernsey

Second photo: My Quick Paint entry before framing, which I always do in the trunk of my car

The judge chose very traditional paintings for awards, and on the drive back to Atlanta I thought a lot about that. I can paint that way, no question about that, but right now that’s not what I want to do. I’ll forgo sales and awards to paint the way I want to paint. Not too long ago I read something that Tara Will said on her website: “… there is a constant pressure to conform in this day and age. Initially I felt that pressure to conform. Until one Plein air event, I saw my work among my peers. I was quite uneasy about my work looking so different. That day I quit trying to be someone else and gave myself permission to fail, to not fit in. It set me free.”

That’s exactly how I feel about the way I’m currently painting, and I’m not about to change to “fit in.”

Speaking of judging … I was asked to be one of the judges for the Atlanta Botanical Garden’s Scarecrow competition! This was SO much fun. There were so many really great entries, but I was partial to Trashonista who came in 2nd place.


Driving back to Atlanta also gave me time to think about what I want to work on over the next few months. This quiet time between November and March will be spent strengthening skills, experimenting and considering what I want to accomplish in 2024. 

And that led me to a consultation with a new friend that I met during our Piedmont Park weeklong paint out. He’s an artist, architect and professor and he agreed to help me with perspective. Before our session if you’d asked me what my biggest weakness is or where I lack the most confidence I would have told you perspective. My friend looked at my paintings and reassured me that my perspective is not that bad. There are improvements to be made, but a lot of those are based on composition and not angles. So I feel much, much better about that and I’ll work on what we discussed over the next few months. 

I also signed up for John Guernsey’s workshop at The Booth. John was one of my favorite people from Georgia Color. He’s so nice, highly skilled and for whatever reason, he wants to help me.  

Watching John’s demo at Georgia Color

A few other highlights from this month: we painted at the Governor’s Mansion, I sold several paintings and Scott and I spent a week in Santa Monica.



I love these artists so much!!

We invented a new country song: “If I’m gonna be stuck in the chicken coop,
it might as well be with you!”

It was such a busy month and the pace has been so frenetic lately. Having time in Santa Monica to just sit, rest, read and relax was heavenly. I’m doing some private lessons over the next few months and it was nice to sit by the pool and work on exercises and teaching plans. Our room was insane, one of the nicest hotel stays we’ve ever had. I don’t know why they upgraded us, but maybe the world works in mysterious ways. Maybe the universe knew I needed this. 

 


NOVEMBER will be busy but not nearly as crazy as the past few months. A bunch of artists are going to Indian Springs State Park to paint for a few days, followed by a week long adventure in Louisiana. 


OTIS and JULIUS are probably pretty ticked with me for being gone so much. Fortunately they are very forgiving. We’re heading into leaf season, so JuJu will be preoccupied with watching falling leaves from the den window. Simple pleasures :)






Happy Fall :) 

Comments

Popular Posts