April 2021


I spent a lot of time outside this month. Cool, crisp mornings with low humidity and a soft breeze in the air? Heavenly! Of course, we know that won’t last long in the ATL, so I’m going to soak up every second of this perfect weather while it lasts. 

It’s also ideal weather for painting en plein air. I painted with several of my artist friends and thoroughly enjoyed it. These sessions are opportunities for me to explore color and composition. It's easy to set up a still life at home with controlled lighting and a focal point, but when you go outside there's a whole world out there with constantly shifting variables as the sun peeks in and out of the clouds. It's a challenging situation, making a series of decisions on composition, color and light ... the ultimate test!

    

Left: The Carter Center Rose Garden. I never leave home without BugX towelettes ðŸª° 
Right: Moongate at the Atlanta Botanical Garden
Below: Atlanta Botanical Garden


Most of these paintings are studies, but if a painting has potential sometimes I’ll take it home to the studio and work on it a little more. But mostly this is time to enjoy being outside, hang out with my artist friends while observing light, shadow and color.

This month I resumed my classes with Elizabeth Floyd. On Tuesdays we are digging deep into the paintings of Cezanne. We painted two copies of Cezanne's - The Peppermint Bottle and A Table Corner. We're learning so much about how he painted and how his still lifes were influenced by landscapes. In fact, if you look at some of Cezanne's paintings upside down, you'll see how similar they look to his Aix en Provence landscapes. It's wild!


My version of Cezanne’s “The Peppermint Bottle” (work in progress) 


My version of Cezanne’s “A Table Corner” (“Un coin de table” - 1895) - work in progress

Over the course of the month I worked on floral paintings, spent time in Roswell at Roswell Square Gallery, completed my last few volunteer hours at Mercedes Benz stadium, and of course, spent time walking in Piedmont Park. 

Here are my paintings from April: 










My neighbors have helped me with flower donations for my paintings, and I’m so grateful! 

“R&D Rhodendron” Love my neighbors 💕

“Argonne Knock Outs” 

Started a new painting - on a completely different wavelength from what you’re used to seeing from me. Our neighborhood market has bailed us out so many times since we’ve lived in Midtown, but especially over the last year or so. They had TP when no one else had it! This is a work in progress, and I’m guessing it will take quite a while to complete. I’ll keep you updated.



And finally, I experimented a little with gouache. Lots to learn about this medium, but I am having fun. It dries quickly, reactivates in water and is really easy to clean up. 


   


EXHIBITION NEWS
“Fresh Cut” was selected by the Booth Museum’s Downtown Gallery for the spring/summer exhibition! 


“Holiday” was juried into the Booth Museum’s annual Booth Artists Guild exhibition and will hang in the museum’s Borderlands Gallery! 



PERSONAL
I wrapped up my volunteer work at Mercedes Benz stadium. It’s kind of hard to describe the experience. At the beginning it was fun - that probably sounds odd - but it was exciting to see change happening on the front lines. For so long it felt like I was just sitting, waiting for someone to do something. Finally I could do something to make a difference. That’s a really good feeling. And while I’m grateful for the support of the federal government, it was never the same experience after they rolled in and took over. It felt over engineered, slow and chaotic. Nevertheless, I’m glad I was a part of it. 

Today is Scott’s birthday! Last year I made a pretty terrible chocolate cake. This year we’re going out to dinner with another couple to celebrate .... and let the professionals do the cooking :)

READING
I finished “Can’t Hurt Me” by David Goggins. It was an excellent book. Here’s one of my favorite passages: “ Our culture has become hooked on the quick fix, the life hack, efficiency. Everyone is on the hunt for that simple action algorithm that nets maximum profit with the least amount of effort. There's no denying this attitude might get you some of the trappings of success if you are lucky, but it will not lead to a calloused mind or self mastery.

If you want to master the mind and remove your governor, you'll have to become addicted to hard work because passion and obsession, even talent, are only useful tools if you have the work ethic to back them up. My work ethic is the single most important factor in all of my accomplishments. Everything else is secondary. “

I think it’s true that our society is used to a quick fix, a short cut to success, a “hack” (I hate that word). In art, there are no short cuts and talent has very little to do with it. You have to work hard, consistently, for years. That’s it. That’s the secret. 

I’m about halfway through “Washington’s Crossing” and I’m loving it! There are myths about our country’s early history that we’ve all learned - this story sets the record straight and tells a more complete version of events.

And I’m listening to “The Answer Is ....”, which is the story of Alex Trebek. It’s easy to listen to on my walks, and I’m a *huge* Jeopardy nerd. Scott and I record it and watch it every night. 


OTIS and JULIUS
I don’t know who loves flowers more - me or JuJu. I have to hide them in the bathroom because he is constantly gnawing on leaves. He’s destroyed more than one still life set up. He will eat almost anything. 


Otis, on the other hand, is our picky eater. He likes a taste of Scott’s yogurt in the morning and a little dollop of sour cream at night. But this month we learned that he likes Trefoil Girl Scout cookies?! What in the ???? Our friend/neighbor/realtor dropped off Girl Scout cookies and while Scott was snacking on them, Otis begged to taste them. And he LOVED them! Go figure.


They love making guest appearances on Zoom, playing hide and seek in the sheets, taking naps in the sun and watching squirrels in the afternoon.







WHAT’S HAPPENING IN MAY
* I’ll be painting at two special events at Colony Square, so I’m looking forward to that. 
* More plein air painting around town
* New flower painting class starts next week!
* A trip to St Simons 

I hope you had a great month. Thank you for your support and encouragement. 

Comments

Popular Posts