February 2022

Weekend on Coronado Island


“It’s like chopping down a huge tree of immense girth. You won’t accomplish it with one swing of your axe. If you keep chopping away at it, though, and do not let up, eventually, whether it wants to or not, it will suddenly topple down.” — Zen Master Hakuin Ekaku

This quote was from my “Daily Laws” reading on February 17th. Because the process of becoming an artist is lengthy and there are many days when I feel overwhelmed by it all, I rely on Robert Greene’s Daily Laws to remind me that a few hours at the easel every day is all it takes for me to see progress. It’s crazy that I have to remind myself of this every day, but I do. Green says 3 hours a day for 10 years = 10,000 hours or mastery. I’m so close. Oof… so close.

I know that nothing magical is going to happen when I hit that number, but I am hopeful that when I go back to the early days and do a side by side comparison, there’s no doubt that I’ve chopped down a huge tree of immense girth. There will be many more trees to chop down, but maybe it won’t take quite as many swings with the paint brush. 

Here’s a recap of painting for February:

PLEIN AIR PAINTING

February plein air painting took me to the Atlanta History Center, Lost Corner Preserve in Sandy Springs and the Roswell Square Gallery. We’re all chompin’ at the bit right now for green grass and trees.

 



STUDIO PAINTING
A mixture of works in progress and some completed:




Trying to match colors







EXHIBITIONS
I have two paintings available at the Acworth Arts Alliance:

I have a new abstract painting up at Colony Square:


And I have two paintings up at the Big Shanty in Kennesaw:

PERSONAL
I gave a bunch of Obama Portrait tours at the High Museum. The kids were really cute and asked great questions. They all noticed Michelle Obama’s purple fingernail polish and Barack Obama’s watch. Several students wanted to know if the time on his watch signified something. So far, I don’t have an answer for that one. I was surprised by so many who asked if the portraits were “real.” They also noticed that Michelle Obama’s diamond earrings looked “real.” I always try to save a few seconds at the end of the tour for photos. 


SAN DIEGO / CORONADO ISLAND
Scott had a work conference in San Diego at the end of February, so I flew out and met him for several days of fun in the sun. The weather was out of this world gorgeous, as were the scenery and sunsets. Lots and lots of sketching and thumbnails to prep for what I hope will be a nice little series of paintings.



Loved our hotel

The seals and sea lions at La Jolla Cove



Balboa Park

So much fresh seafood!

We also visited the San Diego art museum. Here are a few of my favorites:

“Torrey Pines” by Nicolai Fechin 
I love the way he wiped out the shrubbery and the juxtaposition of the wipe out next to
those 4-5 very clear cactus paddles in the foreground

The Parisian Sphinx by Alfred Stevens
I love this painting because this is Victorine, the model that Manet used for “Olympia”
I also love it because it’s beautifully painted … the folds in the fabric!! Wow.

This little guy is by a follower of Chardin. It’s a master copy of one of Chardin’s paintings called “The Monkey Antiquarian.” According to the wall label, monkey paintings (aka “singeries”) were very popular in the 18th century. Monkeys served to “lampoon artists and the leisurely pretentious of art connoisseurs.” 

COMING IN MARCH
My first plein air competition, another workshop with Kathie Odom, a flower demo at The Roswell Square Gallery, paintings going up at the Virginia Highland Bookstore, live event paintings and much more!

OTIS AND JULIUS


JuJu loves ponytail holders

Otis loves sleeping in the sun on top of clean laundry

But he will sleep just about anywhere he can find a warm spot

So glad you stopped by to see what I’ve been up to. The next several months are going to be wild, so fasten your seat belt :)

Comments

Popular Posts