Beginner Oil Painting - April 2017

I've been dabbling in acrylics for the last few years, taking classes at my local art supply store with a talented and fun teacher, "Aunt" Carolyn. No, she's not my aunt, but she calls herself that in class, which may give you some insights into how much fun and how kooky she is. But then - aren't most art teachers a little kooky?

Aunt Carolyn has been very supportive and has taught me a lot about color theory, composition, tones, values, contrast and much more. But I noticed she was teaching less and less and knew it was time to find another outlet for my art education.

I don't have the money to enroll in art school, and at the age of 50, I'm not even remotely interested in being in class with a bunch of 20-year olds. So, my best option at the moment is community art classes. Aunt Carolyn said she began in community art classes as an adult, and is encouraging me to follow suit. She also said it's time for me to graduate from acrylic to oils, and so ... I enrolled in beginner oils at Chastain Arts Center.

I knew ZERO, zilch, nada about oils, so I was nervous and excited about the class. On our first day we talked about oil paint, how it's different than acrylic, colors, mixing, brushes, tools, equipment, and supplies.

In week 2 our instructor, Karen, printed out several famous works of art in black and white. We chose the work we wanted to copy and applied the colors we thought worked. I opted for cupcakes:


And painted them my way using a palette knife:


Then, our instructor showed us the work of art in full color:


Eye opening!!

Wayne Thiebaud is the artist, and he is a master at color, isn't he? Wow! Blue shadows? Look at the colors of those shadows! And the colors in the cupcake liners.

This was the perfect exercise for newbies because we were able to get used to the feel of oils, how to mix them and apply them. Plus, we learned a ton about color and creativity. Be bold!

In week 3, we began with lemons. First we sketched out the still life on a small canvas using vine charcoal. We sprayed it with Fixate so the charcoal would not blend in with the oil, then began with a value study.



And lastly, applied color ...


Week 4

Learning how to see white and shades of white ...



I am making a lot of mistakes in value, and I still feel intimidated by the medium, but my instructor is amazing, patient, encouraging and smart.

Comments

Popular Posts