Beginner Oil Painting - May 2017

Week 5 (I think?)

This was a cool class. We chose a color in acrylic, applied it to the canvas, and painted over it in oils. The key was to use contrasting colors and let the background peek through just a bit. Admittedly, I was skeptical this would work out, but I LOVE the way the blue background looks against these carrots.

Normally I paint pretty quickly, but I took my time with the carrots and it paid off. Struggled lots with the corn :(


Week 6

Before I signed up for this class I looked at our instructor's website and stalked her on Instagram. I fell in love with her olives, but I also thought it was pretty amazing that she could paint something as simple as a paper bag and make it look like a work of art. That's talent.

So, when I walked into class and saw her arranging paper bags on the mantels, I knew what was in store. And I was nervous.


Karen, our instructor, got this idea from a book that she recommended, How to See Color and Paint It. Karen is a self-taught artist and followed the projects in this book, step by step, and taught herself how to paint. Naturally, I had to pick up the book, too.

As I began the paper bag project (which we painted with a palette knife, by the way), I had this feeling that it was not going to turn out well. About an 30-45 minutes into the project, I finally gave up hope of making this precise and figured it would be an abstract painting of something that would never in a million years resemble a bag.

Whatta ya know ... it actually does look like a bag, although it's a fatter bag than the original. This was a turning point for me - learning to let go, trust Karen, trust the process and withholding harsh self criticism until I get closer to the final project.

About halfway through the class, my classmate, Colleen, and I joked that our bags were going through the awkward early teenage phase and that we just had to be patient until it became a 16-17 year old.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the result. And remember ... this is a palette knife, not a brush.


Week 7

Back to vegetables :) And more palette knife painting ...



This is one I'd like to do over. I think it would be fun to paint the background blue, and use a brush instead of a palette knife.

Comments

Popular Posts