Beginner Oil Painting - June 2017

I think I numbered the weeks wrong in my previous posts, but at least the order is correct ...

Week 7

We went to Chicago for Memorial Day weekend, and the very next day, Tuesday, was our second to last class. Still buzzing from seeing all of the amazing art at the Chicago Art Institute, I was super excited to jump right in.

Karen had several different set ups, but I thought it would be fun to paint these glasses.



I was happier with the left side of the painting than the right. The lenses are not equal size and the perspective is off. But -- I like the way the yellow looks, and some of the highlights/lines on the glasses look pretty cool. My background is pretty terrible, and I need to use more paint, thicker paint. My lack of confidence is probably the reason for the thin paint. I'm so afraid of making a big mistake, so I hold back. Need to work on that.

See the blue in the bottom right corner near the edge of the glasses? That's my very favorite part of this painting.

Week 8

The last class and without a doubt my favorite week! Earlier during the session, Karen missed a class because she had jury duty, so this was a make-up session and there were only 3 or 4 of us who showed up. This means more quality time with the instructor, more guidance, more encouragement, less maneuvering, less space sharing. My classmate, Colleen, and I set up our easels near the roses. We worked really well together, lots of good, positive vibes happening at our end of the room. Makes all the difference.



I was nervous about the silver cup, but I just broke it down into pieces/segments of color and remembered the lesson from the paper bag - it's okay if it looks like an awkward 13-year old for a while because it's all going to come together.



By far, my best painting. Yes, there are things I would do differently, but there are a lot of good things happening here.

Sad to see it end, but Intermediate Oils is up next!

Comments

Popular Posts