Intermediate Oil Class - Baton Bob

At this point, we have two classes remaining, which makes me so sad :(. There are so many things that I love about class with Karen, and when you find a community art teacher who is so extraordinary, you do not want it to end.

She taught me so much, turned me onto artists I would have never discovered, and taught me how to appreciate artists I previously dismissed. The mood of the classroom was uplifting and energetic. Let's put it like this - Thursday afternoon traffic in Atlanta is always awwwwful. It takes me 25 minutes to get to Chastain Arts Center and it can take up to an hour and 45 minutes to get home. And I do it every Thursday. Because it's worth it. That's how much I love class.

Anyway -- originally we planned to do a self portrait, but lots of people did not want to do it, so Karen let it slide. I decided I had to do a portrait of some kind with Karen because I knew I had limited time with her. After thinking of all kinds of options, I settled on doing a portrait of Baton Bob.

Bob is an iconic figure in Atlanta. On nice days (not so hot/humid), you can find Bob in a crazy outfit, strutting up and down Peachtree, blowing his whistle and twirling his Baton. I just love him. I found a photograph online, printed it and began knocking it out:

Here's the final painting (3 pics), followed by the progression..

















Yes, I fixed his eyes :)))


Comments

Popular Posts