Landscape Workshop with Russell Case - Day 2 of 2

After Day 1, I went home and studied my notes and researched all of the artists that Russell talked about: Len Chmiel, Ray Roberts, George Bellows, Robert Henri, Rockwell Kent, Curt Walters, Edward Hopper. I studied and studied and tried to mentally prepare myself to walk in the door on Day 2 and SLAY IT.

I was nervous just setting out my paint! What the hell? I don't know why I put so much pressure on myself. One of the non-sharks whispered advice to me, "Don't forget you're supposed to have fun." Oh yeah ... I'd forgotten.

We'd been told to bring in photographs of a landscape we wanted to paint. I figured since this cat was a western landscape pro, I should bring a photo from our recent trip to New Mexico, so I brought this one:


And I got out my ruler and graphed out my blocks on my photo and on my canvas.


Threw down my darkest darks and plowed ahead.

4 hours later, I'd gotten this far. 4 effin' hours.


And after 6 hours, I was here:


My back and arms were KILLING ME. I've never painted for 10 hours. Who does that!? But I knew I had to get as far as I could because I only had a limited time to consult with Russell. But the truth is that the sharks were fighting for his attention, so I only talked to him twice while painting. Twice :(

It was like being the only sane/sober woman on The Bachelor and watching all of the crazies fight for time with the Bachelor. Only way I know to describe it.

Now, of course, when you see this, the sky is wrong. It looks dark and foreboding, which it clearly was not in real life. It had to be fixed, but I couldn't stomach looking at it for days.

Normally, when I leave Chastain and Karen's class, I'm so PUMPED UP. I drive home while listening to the Hamilton soundtrack, which totally gets me fired up. Then I run upstairs to our studio and add finishing touches to what I've been working on. After this workshop, I came home, showered, put on PJs and went to bed.

Several days later I finally mustered up the courage to tackle that sky.



Maybe I'm not a landscape painter :)

Comments

Popular Posts